Communications and Development Internship:
We're now taking applications for a Communications and Development Intern. Click here to learn more.

Why volunteer with Africa Classroom Connection?
Africa Classroom Connection is a volunteer organization led by a volunteer board.  With your help we can expand our work and build more classrooms for the children of South Africa.

Ntabankulu learners
Ntabankulu learners 2009

What will your volunteer efforts support?
Africa Classroom Connection is an American tax-exempt nonprofit corporation. It provides financial assistance to Eshowe Community Action Group (ECAG) in South Africa. ECAG’s mission is to promote educational improvements in the Kwazulu-Natal province of South Africa.  Africa Classroom Connection serves primarily as a funding “arm”, and has no paid staff. All money raised by Africa Classroom Connection goes directly to South Africa to support their mission of building schools and supporting education.  The board of Africa Classroom Connection covers all administrative costs so that 100% of donations go directly to building classrooms and supporting education. 

The need for schools is great. Thousands of potential students between the ages of 5 and 21 years currently do not attend school, primarily due to a lack of educational facilities.ECAG in South Africa has developed an effective business model that involves the community in the building of schools. Local communities are required to raise a 10% deposit. ECAG in turn finds organizations or individuals to contribute the other 90%. The organization has, to date, built over 2,000 classrooms and 14 laboratories at over 150 locations. ECAG currently has community deposits from over 150 communities who are waiting for schools.

If you are interested in helping the children in rural South Africa to fulfill their dreams, join us as a volunteer with Africa Classroom Connection.  

What will volunteers do?
Africa Classroom Connection is seeking volunteers for a variety of activities. Our goal is to develop a volunteer resource pool that can support ongoing activities as well special or one time projects.

Volunteer opportunities include:

  •    Speakers bureau
  •    Assistance with development of communications: writing, graphic design, and web design
  •    Event planning assistance and support
  •    Assistance with travel arrangements and planning
  •    People to host fundraising events (in home, office, etc.)

Who should I contact about volunteering?
If you are interested in being a volunteer, please complete the volunteer application below and send it to Claire Barone via email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or mail it to Africa Classroom Connection, 106 E. 24th St. Minneapolis, MN 55404.  We will contact you to better understand your interests, and add you to our database of volunteers.

 donate LG


Get Involved!
We're looking for a Communications and Development Intern.

Click here to learn more.







Join our email list for occasional news and announcements!

Ekuphakameni Primary School older grades.JPG

2018 Learning Tour:

Travel with us to Africa on our next Learning Tour:
Jan. 15 - Feb. 4, 2018

“I quickly saw that this trip could be a trip of a lifetime. In what other trip would I experience a wedding in Malawi as an invited guest? Interact with hundreds of children in their schools? Visit museums documenting apartheid with tour guides who lived through it? Meet people engaged in the mission to educate children - principals, teachers, Rotarians, concerned, community-minded citizens?”

-Marla Kapperud, 2016 Learning Tour participant

Read more of Marla’s story here